Do you enjoy the process of researching, constructing, and reviewing when developing your play-script?
If you do, then Boiler Room is the platform for you to write for the stage.
Boiler Room 2016 is a 12-month playwriting incubation programme. The focus is on developing ideas/scripts/texts written in English that are intended to be developed for the theatre. The intended outcome of this programme is the completion of read-ready drafts of the projects.
During this period, playwrights will work at their own pace while operating within a rigorous and specified framework, broadly outlined as:
- Research Phase (July 2016 – Oct 2016)
- Construction Phase (Oct 2016 – Jan 2017)
- Writing Period (Jan 2017 – Feb 2017)
- Review Phase (Mar 2017 – April 2017)
This programme is guided by the Centre’s resident dramaturg Dr Robin Loon and resident director Casey Lim. Acting as stewards, they will shape the process in accordance to the playwright’s project-specific creation needs. A large part of the process includes regular consultations and dialogues with, and discussing recommendations provided by the stewards.
Yes, this is for me.
- The open call period is from 7 April 2016 to 6 May 2016 (closing at 2359hrs).
- Download the Application form, and submit the completed form to BoilerRoom@centre42.sg.
- All applications received during the open call will be assessed by the Centre’s programme stewards and a specially-appointed External Selection assessor.
- Shortlisted applicants will be informed latest by 27 May 2016.
- All shortlisted applicants must attend a face-to-face interview at Centre 42 on either 18 or 19 June 2016. The interview panel will comprise the Centre’s programme stewards and another specially-appointed External Interview assessor.
- All applicants will be notified of results by 7 July 2016.
- Successful applicants will be announced on 7 July 2016. Your journey as a Boiler Room 2016 playwright begins.
Need for information?
- Read more about the Boiler Room process and Application requirements in the FAQ.
- Get a sense of the programme from Boiler Room 2014’s happenings.
- Email your queries and/or submission to BoilerRoom@centre42.sg.
 Dr Robin Loon is also Centre 42’s Chief Consultant.
 Casey Lim is also Centre 42’s Executive Director.