Calling all aspiring theatre critics! If you enjoy writing about theatre performances and are looking to sharpen your reviewer’s voice, then our Citizens’ Reviews programme might just be for you.
Citizens’ Reviews is a 12-month programme that takes place between 1 January and 31 December 2018. Its aim is to provide up-and-coming theatre critics with a platform to hone their review-writing skills.
The programme encourages independent learning. Reviewers will be provided tickets by Centre 42 to attend local theatre performances of their choice, after which they will submit a review. The piece will then be edited and published on the Centre’s website.
For the 2018 cycle, the programme will only be taking in English-language reviewers.
As Citizens’ Reviews is not designed as a course, there will be no lessons on critical writing. Reviewers will, however, have the opportunity to engage in dialogue sessions with fellow participants and the editor in the form of roundtables or clinics throughout the year.
For more information, visit our FAQ section here.
Selected Citizen Reviewers will:
- Be given tickets to attend a wide range of local theatre productions of their choice
- Write and submit reviews for editing and feedback
- Participate in quarterly roundtable sessions or clinics that facilitate the sharing of approaches, strategies and issues faced among reviewers
- Have their bios and written reviews published on Centre 42’s website
We’re looking for people who:
- Have good knowledge of the local theatre scene
- Are strong writers with some experience in writing about the arts
- Possess an open and critical mind
- Are able to clearly express his or her opinions with supporting evidence
Sounds like you? Here’s how you can apply:
- Download and fill in the CR2018 Open Call Application Form
- Email your queries and/or submission to CitizensReviews@centre42.sg
- Shortlisted applicants must attend a face-to-face interview at Centre 42 on either 4 or 5 November 2017
- Successful applicants will be notified no later than 20 November 2017
Submission deadline is 22 October 2017, 2359hrs.
Find out more about the Citizens’ Reviews programme.