Calling all theatre lovers! Do you enjoy watching plays and putting your thoughts down in writing?
Then our Citizens’ Reviews programme might just be for you.
This 12-month programme takes place between 1 January and 31 December 2017, and aims to provide aspiring theatre critics with a platform to generate informed observations about the productions they have watched in the form of reviews.
Citizens’ Reviews is a programme that encourages independent learning. Reviewers will be given tickets by Centre 42 to attend local theatre performances of their choice, after which they will submit a review in either English or Chinese. The piece will then be edited and published on the Centre’s website. Dr Robin Loon, the Centre’s resident dramaturg, will continue on as editor for English-language reviews, while renowned playwright-director Liu Xiaoyi will return as the editor for Chinese-language reviews.
As Citizens’ Reviews is not designed as a course, there will be no lessons or workshops on critical writing. Reviewers will, however, have the opportunity to engage in dialogue sessions with fellow participants and the editors. The 2017 cycle will also see the introduction of a one-on-one clinic, where reviewers can get more personal feedback about their writing.
For more information, visit our FAQ section here.
Selected Citizen Reviewers will:
- Be given tickets to attend a wide range of local theatre productions of their choice
- Write and submit reviews for editing and feedback
- Participate in quarterly round-table sessions or clinics that facilitate the sharing of approaches, strategies and issues faced among reviewers
- Have their bios and written reviews published on Centre 42’s website
We’re looking for people who:
- Have knowledge of the local theatre scene
- Possess an open and critical mind
- Are strong writers with the ability to clearly express his or her opinions with supporting evidence
Sounds like you? Here’s how you can apply:
- Download and fill in the Open Call 2017 Application Form
- Indicate in the form your preferred language for reviewing
- Email your queries and/or submission to CitizensReviews@centre42.sg
- Shortlisted applicants must attend a face-to-face interview at Centre 42 on either 25 or 26 November 2016
- Successful applicants will be notified no later than 8 December 2016
Submission deadline is 6 November 2016 (Sunday), 2359hrs.
Find out more about the Citizens’ Reviews programme.